Announcement from TWU President Jonathan S. Raymond, Ph.D.
As one friend once told me – “You have the best job in BC!” I agree. It is a great blessing to serve TWU, the Christian Community, BC and Canada as the President of this remarkable University. Now, it is time to pass the baton to another and to devote time and attention to hopefully the full recovery of health and to the pursuit of other forms of ministry and mission.
I am moving on. As of July 1, 2013, my days of serving as President of TWU will end. In my 38+ years in higher education, I cannot remember a more wonderful and blessed seven years than these past seven spent in the company of a very special community pursuing a glorious, noble mission. It is because the essence of the University truly is Jesus Christ that my period of service as President has been so personally satisfying.
Thank you for your support, and patience. My wife Irene and I are better people for your kindness.
Warmest regards and every blessing in Jesus’ name,
JONATHAN S. RAYMOND, Ph.D.
President and Professor | Acting Chancellor
Message from the Board of Governors
The Board of Governors of Trinity Western University acknowledges with deep gratitude Dr. Jonathan Raymond’s tenure as Trinity Western’s third President. For seven years Dr. Raymond has served the University with honour and distinction, representing TWU with the highest measure of integrity, dignity and wisdom. We have received and accepted his resignation from the office of President effective June 30, 2013, appreciating his desire to give attention to personal health issues. We welcome his continued service with the Trinity Western community as he transitions to the role of President Emeritus and Senior Fellow, whereby he will remain engaged in ambassadorial and scholarship responsibilities for the University.
Celebrating a distinguished faculty and a dynamic leadership team, as well as students who are the hope of our future, the Board of Governors of Trinity Western University looks forward to selecting the next President who will lead the Trinity Western community into its next season of transformational influence, remaining fully committed to being a world-class Christian University, a place of exceptional discovery, learning and engagement—so that the world may experience Christ’s truth, compassion, reconciliation, and hope.
During Jonathan Raymond's tenure as president, from July 2006 to June 2013, the University community achieved remarkable outcomes, which include:
- Seven years of A+ grades in The Globe and Mail Canadian Universities Report and ranked among the top two universities in Canada for "Educational Experience" by the National Survey of Student Engagement as published in MacLean's magazine
- TWU Strategic Direction document: Envision A Century
- University Board of Governors Policy Governance framework adopted
- Office of the Provost established
- TWU Senate established
- Student Learning Outcomes developed
- Langley Events Centre opened as home for TWU teams
- Neufeld Science Centre Expansion completed with federal Knowledge Infrastructure Project funding
- TWU becomes a member of The Royal Society of Canada
- New Academic Programs established
- School of Nursing
- MA Science of Nursing
- School of Arts, Media, and Culture
- New BFA degree in Acting and BA in Corporate Communications
- MBAs established: Management of the Growing Enterprise, Non-Profit & Charitable Organizations, International
- MA Leadership Beijing
- New Global Program with the TWU International College established
- Executive MBA in Tianjin, China
- New University Institutes and Centres established:
- Religion in Canada Institute
- Centre for Spiritual Formation
- Gender Studies Institute
- John William Wevers Institute for Septuagint Studies
- Institute for Chronic Conditions and Aging
- Centre for Equity and Global Engagement
- Inklings Institute
- Two Canada Research Chairs: Religion, Culture and Conflict and Developmental Genetics and Disease
- Creation of the TWU Alumni Association
- TWU Leadership Team in place by 2012
- TWU Aboriginal Partnership Council
- Appointment of a University Siya:m
- 50th year anniversary celebration (2012)
- Six gold medals/national championships (women's soccer, men's volleyball, men's and women's track & field)
- Establishment of the TWU Estate Gift Registry and strengthened estate giving program
- Over $43 million in fundraising from 2006-07 to 2012-13
- Start of North West Conference process of accreditation
- TWU Richmond campus project selected: opening in 2014
- Proposals to the Ministry of Advanced Education:
- School of Law
- MA in Education - Special Education
- Ph.D. in Religious Studies - Ancient Manuscripts
- Last Updated on March 31st, 2014 at 10:29am
- Email: email@example.com
Curious about what you can do at Trinity Western?