Michael R. Walrod, Ph.D.
Michael Walrod completed a diploma in Theology and Missions at Prairie Bible College before receiving his M.A. and Ph.D. in Linguistics at University of Texas at Arlington. He has authored two books on discourse analysis, as well as many other articles and magazine columns in linguistics and cross-cultural work. His multiple publications also include Bible translation in the Ga'dang language of the northern Philippines (where he worked for 17 years). He has served as Associate Director for Academic Affairs of the Summer Institute of Linguistics (SIL) in the Philippines and on the Board of Directors of Wycliffe Bible Translators of Canada. Michael is currently President of the Canada Institute of Linguistics (CanIL).
Doctor of Christian Ministries, Honoris Causa (Trinity Western University) 2005; PhD Humanities/Linguistics (University of Texas, Arlington) 1983; MA Linguistics (University of Texas, Arlington); Diploma of Theology and Missions (Prairie Bible Institute) 1968
- 2009 A Christian perspective in linguistics. Downey, Deane, and Stanley Porter (eds.) Christian Worldview and the Academic Disciplines: Crossing the Academy, p. 290-298. Eugene: Pickwick.
- 2007 Cultural and contextual constraints in communication. Grein, Marion, and Edda Weigand (eds.) Dialogue and Culture, p. 239-256. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- 2006 Language: object or event? The integration of language and life. Love, Nigel (ed.) Language and History: Integrationist Perspectives. London & New York: Routledge.
- 2006 The marker is the message: the influence of discourse markers and particles on textual meaning. Philippine Journal of Linguistics 37:2.100-119.
- 2004 The role of emotions in normative discourse and persuasion. Weigand, Edda (ed.). Emotion in Dialogic Interaction, p. 211-23. Amsterdam: John Benjamins.
- 1992-5 Frontline communication: overcoming language and culture barriers. Regular column in FrontLINE Christian. Edmonton: Christian News.
- 1988 Normative discourse and persuasion: an analysis of Ga'dang informal litigation. Linguistic Society of the Philippines Special Monograph 26. Manila: LSP.
Memberships & Affiliations
- President, Canada Institute of Linguistics
- Society of Text and Discourse, 2003
- Board of Directors, Graduate Institute of Applied Linguistics, Dallas, 1998-2001
- Chair, Missions Committee of Grace Church, Abbotsford, BC, 1996-2000
- TESL-Certificate Curriculum Development Committee, TWU, 1992-1994
- Linguistic Association of Canada and the United States, 1994
- Editorial Advisory Committee, FrontLINE Christian, 1992-1995
- SIL International Curriculum Development Committee, 1991-1994
- Linguistic Society of the Phillipines, 1977
- SIL Philippines Branch - Various Committees, 1973-1990
- SIL Philippine Field Executive Committee
- SIL Philippine Branch Finance Committee
- SIL Philippine Linguistics Committee
- SIL Philippine Bagabag Centre Committee
- SIL Philippine Computer Advisory Committee
- SIL Philippine Dialect Survey Committee
- SIL Philippine Delegation to the WBT/SIL International Conference
Courses Taught at TWU
- Introduction to Linguistics
- Language and Society
- Phonological Analysis
- Grammatical Analysis
- Syntax and Semantics
- Philosophy of Language
- Discourse Analysis
Michael R. Walrod works in School of Graduate Studies, Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences, and ACTS in the departments of MA Linguistics, and Linguistics.