Monika Hilder, Ph.D.
Associate Professor of English
Monika B. Hilder teaches in the English Department at Trinity Western University . She received her B.A. and M.A. in English from UBC, and completed P.D.P. (Professional Development Program, Teacher Education) at SFU. She received her Ph.D. in literature education from the Faculty of Education at Simon Fraser University and was awarded the Dean of Graduate Studies Convocation Medal for Academic Excellence in 2004. In addition to her book-length manuscript, Educating the Moral Imagination through Fantasy Literature: A Study in George MacDonald, C.S. Lewis, and Madeleine L’Engle, she has published journal articles on C.S. Lewis, L.M. Montgomery, and in literature education. Present research interests include Children’s Literature, Young Adult Literature, Fantasy Literature, Fairy Tales, Victorian Literature (George MacDonald), 20th—21st century British Literature (C.S. Lewis, Tolkien, J.K. Rowling), Milton, Literature as Moral Education, Gender Criticism, and Literature and Spirituality. She has published short fiction, drama, and poetry in various journals, and has completed a number of children’s picture book stories, including Beppo’s Magic Song, Keltie and the Dragon Who Ate Words, and Paper Stars for Christmas.
Ph.D. in Education (Simon Fraser University); Professional Teachers Certificate (Simon Fraser University); B.A., M.A. in English (University of British Columbia).
- "Teaching Literature as an Ethic of Care." Teaching Education 16.1 (2005): 43-52.
- "The Enemy's Gospel: Deconstructing Exclusivity/Inventing Inclusivity Through the Power of Story." Journal of Curriculum & Supervision 20.2 (2005): 158-81.
- "That Unholy Tendency to Laughter: L.M. Montgomerys Iconoclastic Affirmation of Faith in Anne of Green Gables." Canadian Childrens Literature/Littrature canadienne pour la jeunesse 113-114 (Spring-Summer 2004): 34-55.
- "The Foolish Weakness in C.S. Lewis's Cosmic Trilogy: A Feminine Heroic." Seven: An Anglo-American Literary Review 19 (2002): 77-90.
Memberships & Affiliations
- ACCUTE (Association of Canadian College & University Teachers of English)
- CLSG (Christianity & Literature Study Group)
- IERG (Imaginative Education Research Group)
- CCSE (Canadian Society for the Study of Education)
- CSSPE (Canadian Society for the Study of Practical Ethics)
Notable accomplishments and experiences
- Over 15 years teaching English Secondary school in Canada and Germany, UBC, and at TWU since 1995 as well as Education at SFU and TWU
- A number of completed childrens picture book stories, including Beppos Magic Song, Keltie and the Dragon Who Ate Words, and Paper Stars for Christmas
- Awarded the Dean of Graduate Studies Convocation Medal for Academic Excellence for the Ph.D. thesis at Simon Fraser University in 2004.
School or Faculty:
School of Graduate Studies, and Faculty of Humanities and Social Sciences
Department or Program:
MA Interdisciplinary Humanities, and English.