Professor of Chemistry,
Chair, Dept of Chemistry,
Assistant Dean, Faculty of Natural and Applied Science
Trinity Western University
7600 Glover Road, Langley, BC V2Y 1Y1
phone: (604) 513-2121 ext 3210 fax: (604) 513-2018
B.Sc (McMaster University, 1982)
Ph.D. (University of Western Ontario, 1986)
NSERC Postdoctoral Fellow (University of British Columbia, 1986-88).
Organometallic synthesis, novel ligand systems, metallophosphoranes.
1. Currently my research involves the synthesis and characterization of metallophosphoranes, five-coordinate phosphorus compounds where one substituent is a transition metal. We have devised a novel route to such compounds (shown below) that involves lithiation of the hydrido phosphorane 1 and subsequent metathesis with a transition metal halide. Characterization is done by NMR and X-ray crystallography.
2. With Dr. Chad Friesen (also at TWU), I am investigating the use of perfluoropolyalkylethers in triarylphosphine ligands for application in fluorous biphase catalysis (FBC). FBC allows for greater ease of separation of catalyst from products (see Figure 1 below) and as such carries significant potential in “green chemistry”.
3. In addition, we are interested in applications of molecular modeling in chemical education.
1. Crystal Structure and DFT Studies of the Hydridophosphorane HP(OC6H4NMe)2.
René T. Boeré, Andrew Dawn, Benson J. Jelier, Craig D. Montgomery
Journal of Chemical Crystallography (2013) 43, 127-133.
2. A Fluorous Biphase Hydrogenation Catalyst Utilizing a Perfluoropolyalkylether: [RhCl(PPh2C6H4C(O)OCH2CF(CF3)(OCF2CF(CF3))nF))3] with n=4-9.
Chadron M. Friesen, Craig D. Montgomery, Sebastian A.J.U. Temple
Journal of Fluorine Chemistry (2012), 144, 24-32.
3. π-Back Bonding in Carbonyl Complexes and C-O Stretching Frequencies: A Molecular Modeling Exercise
Craig D. Montgomery
Journal of Chemical Education (2007), 84, 102-105.
4. Molecular Modeling Studies of the Intramolecular Twist Mechanisms of Racemization for Tris Chelate Complexes.
Craig D. Montgomery and Carolyn J. Shorrock,
Inorg. Chim. Acta. (2002) 328, 259.
5. Integrating Molecular Modeling into the Inorganic Chemistry Laboratory.
Craig D. Montgomery,
J. Chem. Educ. (2001) 78, 840.
6. Mechanisms of Pentacoordinate Pseudorotation. A Molecular Modeling Study of PF5.
Craig D. Montgomery,
J. Chem. Educ. (2001) 78, 844.
7. Synthesis and Characterization of a Copper Amino-Diphosphine Complex That Has an Intramolecular Hydrogen Bond. X-ray Structure of CuCl(PPh3)[NH(SiMe2CH2PPh2)2].
Michael D. Fryzuk, Matthew D. Le Page, Craig D. Montgomery and Steven J. Rettig,
Inorg. Chem. Comm. (1999) 2, 378.
8. Synthesis and Crystal Structure of the Nickel(II) Phosphoranide Complex trans-(PMe3)2[C4H6O3)2P-P]NiCl.
Richard Faw, Craig D. Montgomery, Steven J. Rettig and Bryn Shurmer,
Inorganic Chemistry (1998) 37, 4136.
9. Crystal Structure of the Spirophosphorane (OCMe2C(O)O)2PH.
Craig D. Montgomery, Steven J. Rettig and Bryn Shurmer,
Canadian Journal of Chemistry (1998) 76, 1060.